Sunday 9 February 2014

83 - Boasting in Christ

'But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.' (Galatians 6:14)

I want to establish at the start that I judge no-one with what I write. The only heart I know is my own, and I thank God He sees and forgives it. 

There's a very fine line between sharing good news with others and boasting of our own achievements. Christmas news letters can be a stumbling block in this area. Social networks could be another.

Grades.
Jobs. 
Children.
House. 
Friends. 

King Solomon had one word for them all. VANITY. Without Christ, it's all empty, all pointless. When we stand before God, is He going to be impressed by how many GCSES we got? How well behaved our children were? 

No. 

All that matters is Christ, and how we glorified Him. Earthly achievements can do this, but it's a very, very hard balance to make. 

That's why I'm thankful for the humble and godly people in my life who are so full of love for their Saviour and what He's done, that they can barely stand to speak a sentence without referring to Him. 

OK, so that was slightly exaggerated, but you get the idea. 

What wins people to Christ? Their own achievements - or His greatest on the cross? 

Lord, remind me of this when I'm stressing over my next assignment.

I thank you that I can be a HUGE failure in earthly terms...because Christ was the greatest success in Your terms. And because of Him, I am too. 

May I boast only in You! 

No comments:

Post a Comment