Sunday 9 March 2014

89 - Memorised Scripture

'I have stored up your word in my heart...' (Psalm 119:11) 

We know in our heads that memorising Scripture is of such spiritual benefit to Christians. But it's all the more wonderful when verses directly apply to a moment in our lives. 

For example, I was in Bath this week and I had to walk through it a night. Normally, I would've been fine with this. I mean, Bath is posh, right? What's the worst that can happen in it? Well, the day before I'd seen this guy in a shop threatening people and shouting abuse at them and didn't really fancy running into someone like him at night! 

But as I walked, verses from Psalm 23 came to my mind. 

'Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.' (v. 4)

Yeah, I know I wasn't exactly facing death. But it was still such a huge comfort. A reminder nothing's more powerful than God; that fear itself loses all its power to scare us.  A reminder that His presence watches over us always. I walked through that city with far more confidence. 

Your word is powerful Lord. And I thank you for giving me a mind capable of storing it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment