Sunday 29 June 2014

108 - Our lineage

'...the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.' (Matthew 1:1)

It's no coincidence who our family, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and so on, are. All were carefully chosen by God. And we can be thankful for those choices. 

I'm thankful that I come from a lineage of people who loved God. My great-grandparents on my mother's side, for example, were missionaries. My parents raised me to follow God, something I will always, always be grateful for. 

But I'm aware not everyone has the privilege of a Christian lineage. Some may be the only Christian in their family. 

But they can still be thankful. 

Because the moment they put their faith in Christ, they became part of a new family - God's.

It doesn't get much better than that!

And if there are people in your ancestry you'd rather not mention, just read this post - it sums up the colourful characters in our Saviour's lineage pretty well! 

http://marshill.com/2012/12/04/knots-in-jesus-family-tree

The post finishes:

'...there is room for all of us in God’s family, by grace. There is room for men and women, rich and poor, young and old, moral and immoral, Jew and Gentile, perverted and virgin, religious and irreligious, liars and truth tellers, murderers and their victims in the family of God, by grace. There’s room for you no matter what you’ve done or what your family history may be.'

And that's one huge reason to be thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment