Friday 5 July 2013

42 - Age

'Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life.' (Proverbs 16:31)

None of us like getting older. To some, it must feel like they're leaving the best years behind, which is why they struggle to hold onto their youth so desperately. 

I can't say I'm innocent of this. I'm only twenty and I already attack my younger sister for repeatedly referring to me as twenty-one, little madam that she is!

But why do we dislike age? None of us can prevent it.  
Perhaps because we realise we are getting closer to death, which, I agree, is unnatural. Before we sinned, we were never meant to die. This might explain why those who are unsaved fear age. 

But for Christians, Christ took away the fear of death when He died for us on the cross. Now age can mean one step closer to heaven and eternity with Him!

It can mean looking back on a full and fruitful life lived for God. Age doesn't have to mean we do less and less. I know some old people who are still living life to the full at ninety! 

So, although I'm not saying we have to thank God each birthday that we're getting older, I am saying we could thank Him for all that He's brought us through and all He will bring us though. 

He's the God of yesterday, today and forever! May our lives (and grey hairs, if and when we get them,) glorify Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment