Friday 19 September 2014

121 - Finding new things in the Bible

'I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name.' (Isaiah 45:3)

I'm not sure what the verse above refers to, but I like to think it could refer to the Bible, and the way we can keep discovering new things, new verses - 'hidden treasures' - years and years after we first became a Christian and first started reading the Scriptures. 

For example...

I'm reading Jeremiah at the moment, and I was amazed by chapters 30-31 in particular. Verses packed with promises and hope of the goodness of God. I guess I just had this mindset of Jeremiah being all gloomy prophecies - he was nicknamed 'The Weeping Prophet', after all. 

But look. 

'I will restore the fortunes of my people' (30:3)

'I will burst your bonds' (30:8)

'I will save you' (30:10)

'Jacob [Israel, who was in exile - I think?] shall return' (30:10)

'I will restore health to you' (3-:17)

'I will multiply them...I will make them honoured.' (30:19)

'I will punish all who oppress them; (30:20)

'You shall be my people and I will be your God.' (30:22)

'I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.' (31:3) (This one really gets to me). 

'The Lord has ransomed Jacob and has redeemed him' (31:11)

'I will turn their mourning into joy. I will comfort them and give them gladness for sorrow.' (31:13)

'I will satisfy the weary soul and every languishing soul. I will replenish.' (31:25)

'Thus says the Lord, who gives the sun for light by day and the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar - the Lord of hosts is his name. If this fixed order departs from before me, declares the Lord, then shall the offspring of Israel cease from being a nation before me...(31:35). (So essentially, the world would have to FALL APART before He would neglect His people. 

WOW. 

What a list. 

He showed grace to undeserving Israel - to undeserving us. His love is steadfast. His faithfulness is constant. He can't love us any more or less. 

And He has given us His living word, that keeps opening up itself and revealing hidden treasures when we keep turning to it. 

PRAISE YOU GOD!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment