Monday 24 June 2013

35 - Humour

'There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God' (Ecclesiastes 2:24)

I find it so sad that many perceive Christians to be a bunch of fun-sucking, humourless people. Because sometimes they're right. And they shouldn't be! Christians have the biggest reason in the world to laugh and enjoy life - they're saved! 

Our church just had a weekend away together, and let me tell you, there was a lot of laughter in those few days. Sometimes the laugh-until-you-cry kind. (Such as a mock talent contest,  a friend trying to play the guitar and singing 'Crown Him with Many Crowns' in a fake Bristolian accent, and some daring impersonations of our pastors). It was great fun. 

I'm not saying we should be over-the-top Pollyannas, always looking for the reasons to be glad, always seeing the glass as half-full. (Though that might not be such a bad thing...)  

I'm saying God has blessed us with a life that can be pretty hilarious. 

So let's be thankful for it and enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. Yes!!! I hate this idea that humour is ungodly - for goodness sake people! Really like this reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess I tend to swing towards being too serious :\ so it's good to keep reminding myself of the reasons to laugh! (Ooh, maybe that's what I'll blog on next ;)

    ReplyDelete