Thursday 27 June 2013

36 - Shoes

'I...shod you with fine leather.' (Ezekiel 16:10)

Now, before you exit from my blog in a huff, thinking "Shoes? What a female thing to say!", bear with me a moment. 

The other day I went for a walk in a forest with some of my family. I hadn't been aware we were going on this walk, as a result, the only shoes I had to wear were flip-flops. This wasn't too bad until we got home and I saw the attractive state my feet were in. As I washed them in the bath, I found myself thinking of what people had to wear in their feet in Biblical times. 

Sandals. Just sandals. In dry, dusty Israel. Jesus and his disciples walked miles in this way.

No wonder there are references to washing feet, such as the woman who wept at Jesus feet or Christ himself washing his disciples' feet. They probably needed it a lot! 

But how often do I pull on my trainers or a pair of wellies without being glad they're there? Without being thankful I don't have to walk barefoot, as many people in other parts of the world have to? 

He is the one who provided the money and environment which allows me to have shoes on my feet. And I thank Him for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment