Thursday 19 September 2013

54 - The Success of Others

'...in humility value others above yourselves' (Philippians 2:3)

When others are successful in life - get high grades, get a good job, a spouse, a car, a home, a family - everyone has a choice as to how they will react. 

One - We can fall into an inner turmoil of resentment, jealousy, bitterness and self-pity. Why didn't that happen to me? Why do I have to work so hard, while they get good grades with ease? Why am I struggling to find a job, when they got one first time? 

I'm tempted to react this way. One sister recently started sixth form, the other uni. They're out all day, coming home with fresh stories...and I'm not. I do my degree from home, so that's where I'm going to be nearly all day, nearly every day. 
Not that I regret my choice to work at home, not for a second! God decided I would do so, and I love it. 
But it's hard. The selfish part of me wishes I was the one holding attention with the stories I have to tell. 

But I can choose to react in the second way.

With joy that others have been blessed by God. With interest in their successes. With the same love that Christ would show. 

Remember - He was a carpenter on Earth. Did you ever see Him envy those more materially successful?

Thank you God for the numerous blessings you have given to those around me. May I never envy them, for you have blessed me just as much! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder, Naomi!
    Jonah comes back with uni stories right now, and it is tempting to react the first way on your list!
    Keep on keeping on, sister!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elspbeth :) You too! X X X

    ReplyDelete